Who We are
Holistic Therapy Modalities
Emotionally Focused Therapy
PHD · LPC · LMHC · NCC · ACSI approach my work from these beliefs:
- All of life’s pain is born of loss–not just death, but a metaphorical death. The loss of love, loved ones, friendship, marriage, job, health, confidence, self-esteem, hope, life as we once knew it.
- Therapy should be active and solution-focused.
- All healing begins with the heart.
I help individuals, couples, and families create strategies and manage challenging situations ultimately improving the quality of their lives.
- AMHCA Board Diplomate in Family and Couples Therapy
- AMHCA Board Diplomate Trauma & Crisis Counseling
- Emotionally Focused Therapist
- Heart Centered Hypnotherapist
- Family Constellation Facilitator
- Nationally Certified Counselor licensed in New York, Florida, and Virginia
- Certified School Counselor specialized in special education, play therapy, and childhood trauma
- Family Therapist with experience in residential treatment, crisis centers and psychiatric hospitals, and expertise in attachment-based trauma, families in crisis, and couples therapy.
- Private Practitioner since 1998
- Clinical Professor on the faculty of the State University of New York at Buffalo in the department of Counseling, School and Educational Psychology for 11 years before moving to Virginia.
- Provided training and consultation to agencies serving abused, neglected, and traumatized children and families, including foster parent organizations, CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate), Child Protection workers, family courts, and schools. Trained in the specialized treatment of adopted and foster families with trauma and attachment disorder or Reactive Attachment Disorder.
- Numerous elected and board positions on local, state, and national professional counseling associations, most recently as president of the North Atlantic Region Association of Counseling and Supervision as well as sitting on the Association of Counseling, Education Supervision’s Executive Board.
- Proven expertise in extreme mood and personality disorders, such as borderline personality, along with explosive behavior and disruptive/conduct/impulse control disorders that arise from complex trauma and abuse.
- Crisis work with children and families led to a specialization in trauma and attachment issues for children and individuals exposed to extreme violence, neglect, and abuse.
- Extensive experience as a New York Supreme Court Family Mediator, Divorce Coach, Parent Coordinator, and Professional School Counselor. Served as expert witness in both criminal and family court.
- Presented regionally and nationally as well as being a frequent presenter at conferences, workshops, and trainings on topics such as child trauma, blended families, personal empowerment, high conflict divorce, traumatic effects of divorce and separation on children, LGBTQ Couples Therapy, and effective therapeutic interventions.
- Conducted research on the incidence of PTSD in children from high conflict divorce families.
RESIDENT THERAPIST (R-LPC) AND RELATIONSHIP SPECIALIST
Through my extensive EFT training I am committed to building a collaborative therapeutic relationship where I support and guide you in obtaining the life you wish to have. I do this by providing empathic and accepting support which creates a comfortable, emotionally safe and honest space.
I am passionate about relationships. All of my work and education have provided me with the knowledge and skills to support individuals and couples through this journey of connection in relationships. All of my work here at The Relationship Center is around helping people have a better connection with their emotions to better connect to their loved ones. Let me help you enhance your connections today.
Master of Arts in Counseling, Couple, and Family Therapy, University of Colorado, Denver
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Wayne State University
Externship in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
Graduate and post graduate training in cultural responsiveness, attachment, Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, and affairs
- Online Distance Counseling (Telecounseling)
- Cross-Cultural Couples
- Military Couples
PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIP CONSULTANT
Auburn University, Master of Science in Marriage and Family Therapy
Vanderbilt University, Bachelor of Science in Human and Organizational Development
Over 1,500 clinical experience hours under supervision
Extensive graduate and post-graduate training in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
Externship in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
McCoy, A., Rauer, A., & Sabey, A. (2016). The meta marriage: Links between older couples’ relationship narratives and marital satisfaction. Family Process.
CERTIFIED THERAPY DOG
Why is there a dog in the office? Find out here.