PHD · LPC · LMHC · NCC · ACS
I approach my work from these beliefs:
- All of life’s pain is born of loss–not just death, but a metaphorical death. The loss of love, loved ones, friendship, marriage, job, health, confidence, self-esteem, hope, life as we once knew it.
- Therapy should be active and solution-focused, with a definite ending.
- Healing begins with someone who will truly listen.
- Sustainable, positive change takes time. It is oh-so-subtle and happens over time.
- AMHCA Board Diplomate in Family and Couples Therapy
- AMHCA Board Diplomate Trauma & Crisis Counseling
- Emotionally Focused Therapist
- Heart Centered Hypnotherapist
- Family Constellation Facilitator
- Prepare-Enrich Certified Facilitator
- Certified Trauma Treatment Specialist
EMDR Advanced Skills at the Parnell Institute
Gottman Method Couple Therapy Levels I & II
- Nationally Certified Counselor licensed in New York, Florida, and Virginia
- Certified School Counselor specialized in special education, play therapy, and childhood trauma
- Family Therapist with experience in residential treatment, crisis centers and psychiatric hospitals, and expertise in attachment-based trauma, families in crisis, and couples therapy.
- Private Practitioner since 1998
- Clinical Professor on the faculty of the State University of New York at Buffalo in the department of Counseling, School and Educational Psychology for 11 years before moving to Virginia.
- Provided training and consultation to agencies serving abused, neglected, and traumatized children and families, including foster parent organizations, CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate), Child Protection workers, family courts, and schools.
Elected Professional and Board Positions on local, state, and national professional counseling associations. Including Past President of the North Atlantic Region Association of Counselor Education and Supervision and Executive Committee member for the Association of Counseling Education Supervision.
- Proven expertise in extreme mood and personality disorders that arise from complex trauma and abuse.
- Extensive experience as a New York Supreme Court Family Mediator, Divorce Coach, Parent Coordinator. Served as expert witness in both criminal and family court.
- Presented regionally and nationally as well as being a frequent presenter at conferences, workshops, and trainings on topics such as child trauma, blended families, personal empowerment, high conflict divorce, traumatic effects of divorce and separation on children, LGBTQ Couples Therapy, and effective therapeutic interventions.
- Conducted research on the incidence of PTSD in children from high conflict divorce families.
Recognized Relationship and Mental Health Expert invited to speak at national and local conferences, on local news and radio and to give talks and lead discussions at universities, companies and wellness retreats.
- AASECT – American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists
- ACA – American Counseling Association
- AMHCA – American Mental Health Counseling Association
- ATSS – Association of Traumatic Stress Specialists
- EMDRIA – Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing International Association
- ICEEFT – International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy