PHD · LPC · LMHC · NCC · ACS
I approach my work from these beliefs:
- All of life’s pain is born of loss–not just death, but a metaphorical death. The loss of love, loved ones, friendship, marriage, job, health, confidence, self-esteem, hope, life as we once knew it.
- Therapy should be active and solution-focused.
- Healing begins with someone who will truly listen.
I help individuals, couples, and families create strategies and manage challenging situations ultimately improving the quality of their lives.
- AMHCA Board Diplomate in Family and Couples Therapy
- AMHCA Board Diplomate Trauma & Crisis Counseling
- Emotionally Focused Therapist
- Heart Centered Hypnotherapist
- Family Constellation Facilitator
- Nationally Certified Counselor licensed in New York, Florida, and Virginia
- Certified School Counselor specialized in special education, play therapy, and childhood trauma
- Family Therapist with experience in residential treatment, crisis centers and psychiatric hospitals, and expertise in attachment-based trauma, families in crisis, and couples therapy.
- Private Practitioner since 1998
- Clinical Professor on the faculty of the State University of New York at Buffalo in the department of Counseling, School and Educational Psychology for 11 years before moving to Virginia.
- Provided training and consultation to agencies serving abused, neglected, and traumatized children and families, including foster parent organizations, CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate), Child Protection workers, family courts, and schools.
- Numerous elected and board positions on local, state, and national professional counseling associations.
- Proven expertise in extreme mood and personality disorders that arise from complex trauma and abuse.
- Extensive experience as a New York Supreme Court Family Mediator, Divorce Coach, Parent Coordinator. Served as expert witness in both criminal and family court.
- Presented regionally and nationally as well as being a frequent presenter at conferences, workshops, and trainings on topics such as child trauma, blended families, personal empowerment, high conflict divorce, traumatic effects of divorce and separation on children, LGBTQ Couples Therapy, and effective therapeutic interventions.
- Conducted research on the incidence of PTSD in children from high conflict divorce families.